Monday, September 9, 2013

Biking Downhill - and Driving Uphill

Riding down the Allegheny Bike Trail
 
 
While in Cumberland, Maryland we drove up US40 to Frostburg and parked along the Great Allegheny Passage bike trail.  We heard it was all down hill, and well, if we are going to ride a bike further than three quarters of a mile, it's gotta be downhill!  And it was!  We had a beautiful sunny, 70 degree day that we just coasted along, enjoying beautiful scenery, butterflies, a few deer and we kept an eye out for bear.  Much of the trail is alongside a railroad track, and we saw the old locomotive pass us by.
 




 
 
But even riding downhill takes its toll, so we had to stop and rest my back and legs - who knew coasting downhill was so much work?  LOL
 
 
The following day we drove about 4 hours south, into Virginia, to the Shenandoah Valley Campground.  It was a day of rest for me, while Noel went to the grocery.  Today we drove to the Shenandoah National Park and drove about 1/3 of Skyline Drive, passing beautiful overlooks and watching for wildlife.  Its been an overcast day and my pain level is pretty high, so we didn't do any hiking, so the only wildlife we saw was a few deer near the road and some monarch larvae.  We also stopped at a Goodwill store and stocked up on a few books.  I've already finished the two books on my Kindle - amazing how much reading you can do when you don't have tv to distract you!  (Much to Noel's dismay - he was really hoping to catch the Bengals game yesterday!)





2 comments:

Angie said...

how Beautiful!!!!!! I would have loved that ride. I think what you guys are doing is so awesome!!!

kt said...

Hi Anna and Noel!
This is KT from Northmont - I never had the pleasure of meeting Anna but of course I know Noel (and we miss him!). I just checked in to read your blog and it's wonderful. Thank you so much for doing this, it will be great fun to keep up with you. I am one of the envious ones... I would LOVE to do what you are doing right now. I pray traveling mercies for you both!