Friday, November 15, 2013

Reading on the Road - Book Reviews

I’ve managed to misplace the cord that transfers pictures from my camera to the computer, so I’m not able to post about all the fun things we’ve been doing! So frustrating - it’s a small space! What could I have possibly done with it? Infuriated - I ordered a replacement from Amazon and its set to arrive on Monday.

Until then, I was planning to post about all the good books I’ve read since beginning our RV adventure, so I figured now was as good a time as any. Neither of us has felt particularly stellar, so in between all the fun things you see me post about, there is a LOT of down time, during which I usually have my nose in a book.

With the help of the Dayton Metro Library (thanks Greg!) I have been able to download books to my Kindle, and since Noel and I both love to thrift shop, I have a stack of books always at the ready. As I read them, I just leave them at the campgrounds because almost all of them have had a “book exchange” area in their community rooms.

I’ve read 14 books in the 10 weeks we’ve been on the road! I love to read, but I probably only read 14 books all of last year, so it’s a record for me! I was originally going to give a full description of the book, but don’t want to spoil the read for you in case you want to read it too, so I will just list them and tell you whether I liked it enough to recommend it or not. So in case you are interested, here is what I’ve been reading -

Title: The Most Beautiful Thing
Author: Fiona Robyn
Notes: An interesting, heavy read about a young man with mental illness. Certainly not a “feel good” 
    story.
Recommend: Only if you like a more serious, heavy read.

Title: The Time Keeper
Author: Mitch Albom
Notes: By the same author as “Tuesdays with Maury”, it’s a well written fantasy story about how  
     “keeping time” began and about Father Time himself.
Recommend: Yes

Title: Casting Stones
Author: GM Barlean
Notes: Talk about depressing! Set in the 20s, a young man loses his wife to drowning and how
     horrible his life is after that….
Recommend: No

Title: Heartburn
Author: Nora Ephron
Notes: Written in 1st person, conversational style, the book is about her cheating husband and the
     effects it has on their marriage.
Recommend: No

Title: Missing Sisters
Author: Gregory MaGuire
Notes: I love anything by Gregory MaGuire! The story of a child in the 60s being raised by nuns.
Recommend: Yes

Title: Moon Women
Author: Pamela Duncan
Notes: The story o9f 3 generations of women (last name “Moon”) and their interactions, memories
     and life lessons. Very well written.
Recommend: Resounding YES

Title: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
Author: Rebecca Scoot
Notes: The true story of a black woman with cervical cancer, and how her tissue sample of cells,
     taken without her permission, live on as “super cells” and have been used in research for decades. 
Recommend: Yes, for a serious, educational read - especially if you like biology/medical science

Title: All the Single Ladies
Author: Jane Costello
Notes: By the same author of the book/movie “Bridesmaids” - a fun, light read.
Recommend: Yes, especially if you are a fan of Sophie Kinsella, as their writing style is similar

Title: The Art of Racing in the Rain
Author: Garth Stein
Notes: I would never have thought I would like this book, since it is written from the family dog’s
     perspective, but it is very poignant and well written!
Recommend: Highly!

Title: The Returned
Author: Jason Mott
Notes: Stopping short of being a zombie story, people that have been long dead begin returning 
     to life and how people in a small town react to their return
Recommend: Not really - not particularly riveting or compelling

Title: Book of Someday
Author: Dianna Dixon
Notes: At first a bit hard to follow as each chapter jumps from a different person and time period.
    There are 3 main characters, and the author ties them all together eventually in a surprising twist.
    I really enjoyed this one!
Recommend: Highly! Well written!

Title: The Weight of Silence
Author: Heather Gudenkauf
Notes: Excellent book! A real page turner! The story of 2 missing 7 year old girls.
Recommend: Yes

Title: The Life List
Author: Lori Nelson Spielman
Notes: A light read with the moral of the story being, moms know best!
Recommend: Yes, a fun light beach read

Title: Rainshadow Road
Author: Lisa Kleypas
Notes: A typical chick-lit love story, but I picked it up because it was about a glass-artist! A typical
     girl meets boy love story.
Recommend: Yes, another light beach read


So, there you have it.  I would love to hear your thoughts on any of these books, or your recommendations of what I should be reading!  Since leaving comments is rather arduous on this blog, feel free to email me at MetroAnnaM@msn.com

 

1 comment:

Karen Miller Russell said...

Henrietta Lacks still makes me think and I read it a long time ago.

If you like the dog narrator, try Spencer Quinn's Chet and Bernie series. Chet is the dog and Bernie's the private eye, and they really are a team when it comes to solving mysteries. :D

You're reading a lot! I'm envious!