Thursday, July 18, 2013

The Preparation

They say today is the first day of the rest of your life.  Well that has never been more true for us than today.  We sold our house.  His house.  My HOME.  This is the place I've ever stayed the longest.  I only lived in my childhood home for 16 years.  I've been here 20.  It's been a good home.  A safe home.  The place we raised our little boy.  The place that sucked our wallets dry!  Isn't that what a house does?

The good news is that it sold to the daughter of a good friend that passed away many years ago.  We've only had sporadic contact with his widow and two daughters over the years, but I have pictures of her having Easter egg hunts in the backyard and conked out on the floor on New Years Eve in this very house.  So it feels like its going to family and I'm happy that my home will soon be her home.

In the meantime, however, is all the work of packing away 20+ years of STUFF!  What to keep in storage? What to give away? What to sell? What is keepsake and what is just crap?  And how the heck do you pack for a trip where your destinations are yet unknown and the length of your stay undetermined?  I'm a WOMAN damn it - I need to know what shoes to pack!!  Will I need a coat in Florida in January?  Will I need gloves in Alaska in July?  Ack!!  These questions are keeping me up at night!

1 comment:

JAVA said...

We were in Orlando in January 2013, and it got cold enough for a coat, so don't throw yours away just yet!